Dunn-Fairley-Bonner House Project 

 

1/20/07 update:  The restoration is complete!  

The home was sold to Blake and Betty Field of Camden.  The Field's restoration of the home was completed in late 2006.  

1/20/04 update (from the Winter 2004 Newsletter)

As noted in prior newsletters, we received a planning grant relating to the preservation of the home in the amount of $5,000 on August 2, 2001. Richard Hudgens, historical architect from Selma, has  completed the preservation plans and drawings.  We received notice from the Alabama Historical Commission on February 10, 2003 that our Society had received a grant in the amount of $25,000.  This was a matching grant, and we had intended to start Phase I work in the summer of 2003, but the refunds were withdrawn as part of the Governorís cost cutting actions.  Applications and information on other sources have been received and are being pursued.  Another option would be to place the building and grounds on the open market, with any buyer being bound to follow the preservation guidelines established in Mr. Hudgensí package.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     As you may recall from the November 17, 2000 meeting, several of us met with Patrick McIntyre on October 27 at the Dunn-Fairley-Bonner House on Broad Street to assess the condition and historical significance of this structure. Mr. McIntyre wrote a letter to our Society and to the James Bonner Trust trustees stating the very important historical significance of this building. 

     The original portion of this house was constructed circa 1825-30 as a two-story log house by Thomas Dunn. Then most likely some 10 to 15 years later a two-story frame addition was built onto the rear of the original house, resulting in a "double pile "plan. The mantels in the upstairs rooms are of Federal Period origin, while later Victorian period mantels were placed in some of the downstairs moms. It was during the Victorian Period (1890ís) that the house was updated again to its current form, including the addition of the fill-facade portico, the half-story above the second, and the extended eaves. This home came into the possession of the Bonner family in 1882. 

     Last November we discussed if our Society would like to take possession of the property and coordinate the period restoration of the home. At the March 1st meeting the Society voted to accept possession of the home and to coordinate its restoration.  Several eventual uses of the home were discussed including a welcome center and/or a museum. 


Photos of the home taken by a government photographer in the 1930's. 

(It has been learned that the two girls shown in these 
photos are Billie LaBarbera and Shirley Autrey.)

    


Progress underway in late September 2001

| Home | | News & Events | Tour of Homes | Newsletters | Bonner Project |
| Officers | Area Links |

Wilcox Historical Society.....dedicating to preserving the history of Wilcox County, Alabama.
P.O. BOX 464, CAMDEN, AL 36726